Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Second Life Avatar

                I chose to create an avatar on Second Life. The process of creating this avatar was fairly simple. I simply chose a character out of a group of about ten. The character didn't really match me too well but it was similar in some ways to me. Next I needed to put in personal information, such as my username and email address that they can send m
ail to. Finally I needed to download the Second Life program to run the game. The whole process took maybe only ten to fifteen minutes all together. It was really simple to start and didn't require much for me to begin to play. This was probably because the game has such limited range of choices to choose from in the beginning. The game doesn't do much to make the game culturally diverse. Racially there are avatars of different colors, however the avatars don’t have outfits or looks that can express the users of the avatars. Basically users are limited to a specific way that they can express themselves on Second Life and can only display themselves in specific ways.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

While I didn't try the Second Life route, it looks like you had a fairly easy time creating your avatar. I can see how it kind of looks like you, but as you said you had limited options so that explains any difficulties you may have had with making it look physically accurate.

I found it interesting how you brought up the topic of limited choices. In online gaming spaces, people rely on these avatars to play the game and interact with other characters. The concept of limited choices makes me think that players are limited to certain physical features, perhaps implying that the game creators wanted all of their characters to look somewhat similar to each other so there would be no significant discrepancies in the way their characters look. Or maybe they just didn't feel like creating more options.

Overall good job!

clara94 said...

Hey,
It seemed like you had a much easier time with Second Life than I did. It was a fun process, but a little frustrating at times. I agree with you about the diversity. There were little things that made them different, but really nothing relatable in terms of being culturally diverse. Also, I was wondering about the fact that you had to add your mailing address, I didn't have to do that when I signed up so I wonder what is up with that.
Glad you had fun though, and good job with your Avatar creation.