I started off by trying to create an avatar on Second Life
that resembled myself. The process was difficult, but overall I think there
were a lot of different opportunities to help create a realistic representation
of myself. I was shocked by the array of options for changing your features but
could tell that more regular users would be able to do a lot more with their
character than I was able to figure out. I went through and tried to make my
facial features and hair as close as I could to myself and I ended up looking
nothing like myself, but it did work on it for a while.
After giving up on Second Life, I decided to go on to the
Wii site and create another avatar of myself. This time it was much simpler,
but the options were much more limited. Especially with clothing there was only
one choice, rather than being able to personally design every aspect of an
outfit.
For both avatars I noticed how simple defining features made
a huge difference when creating my avatar. The one feature that I spent the
most time deciding on for both avatars was my hair. Trying to find the most
similar style and color was extremely influential in deciding how similar the
avatar looked to myself. Also, simply having a more feminine body on Second
Life, made it easier to tell my identity rather than on Wii where I felt the
need to have myself wear pink to be able to recognize myself as a female. It is
easy to see how little details can help set apart, gender, race or other
identity markers.


1 comment:
Katie,
I ended up doing the same thing as you and creating both a Second Life avatar and Mii. It was interesting to see the difference, because the Mii creator was so much simpler. I also agree with your point about Second Life that more regular users would have an easier time making an avatar. Since I have no knowledge of the game it was a lot more difficult for me to change features, as well.
Post a Comment