Sunday, November 10, 2013

Manpower Inc.

In my search on Manpower Inc. I looked for jobs in Minneapolis, Los Angeles, and Madison. I am from a suburb of Minneapolis, and I am hoping to live in California around Los Angeles at some point in my life. Some of the results were somewhat unexpected.

The results for jobs in Minneapolis usually didn't require that much schooling or training. Most of the jobs were seeking people who at least had a high school diploma or GED, and most of them wanted people proficient in programs like Microsoft Office. Some of the listings asked for a certain speed in typing and other simple qualifications, like being able to multi-task well.

The Los Angeles job listings were usually asking for a higher level of education. They wanted at least an associates degree. Some even wanted people to have completed a masters program or to have around 8-10 years in a professional business position. There were even places looking for 10+ years of experience and proof of improvement in previous jobs.

Some of the jobs listed both Minneapolis and Los Angeles as locations. These ones often wanted at least a bachelors degree and a significant amount of work experience. Some even asked for development experience with programs like Java and Oracle.

There seemed to be a lot more temporary jobs in Madison than in Minneapolis or Los Angeles. They were looking for people who were  computer literate and had simple abilities, like being able to pay close attention to detail. The few listed didn't seem like high-paying jobs, either.

There was definitely the most job listings for Minneapolis, and there were barely any listings for Madison. Overall, the jobs that were asking for a higher level of education and higher qualifications seemed like better positions. They were also much less likely to be temporary jobs. The ones that were temporary often didn't ask for as high of qualifications. There were a lot of IT jobs and some of them wanted engineering degrees (or at least an associates degree in engineering). There were also a lot of listings for people in the business field and listings for managers.


2 comments:

Te'Asia said...

Hi Taylor..

I find it really interesting that in your search, LA was similar to my findings in DC. I guess we can consider both of these places focused on more corporate jobs that require more training. I completely understand why DC would require more training. I do not know enough about LA to speak on it,however, but I feel that it may have a valid reason to require such training too that deals with a vast corporate field.

I can also totally see you living in California one day! Hope you do!

Katie Flicker said...

I agree with Te'Asia that it is interesting how many of the jobs in Los Angeles require a higher level of education than in Wisconsin. I would be interested to know if these jobs were mainly within the same in the same industries or if they involved different skills. Like Te'Asia, I also noticed similar results when comparing smaller towns to large cities (my hometown vs. New York City) with the degree of education needed.