Going into this weekend assignment I knew that I could give
up the technology for forty-eight hours if I kept myself in the right mindset. The
mindset that I needed for this assignment was an off the grid approach. I have
gone off the grid before for multiple days, so if I just reminded myself that I
have lived without technology for longer periods of time, then I would not be
as tempted to use my phone or laptop. I uninstalled my social networking
applications on my phone, and left my phone on silent so I would not be tempted
with any notifications.
Right before the start of the assignment I left a message on
Facebook and called my parents to let everyone know that I could not use any
technology for the weekend. Once 5 p.m. hit On Friday night, I went off the
grid. However, I did use one piece of technology during this assignment, which
was my camera. Throughout the weekend I recorded my experience and thoughts
throughout the weekend and I noticed some interesting things about not
constantly being connected to people virtually. Here is my video where I explain
my experience of being “Off the Social Networking Grid”.
Needless to say I survived the full forty-eight hours. Even
after 5 p.m. on Sunday hit I did not feel a rush to go back onto Facebook,
rather I felt a sort of dread. I enjoyed being disconnected. Not always being
connected allowed me more freedom because I did not constantly feel the pull to
check on what everyone else in my life was doing. Overall I really enjoyed this
assignment, and I have even convinced a friend to attempt a week without social
networking tools because he watched my video.
No comments:
Post a Comment