Monday, November 25, 2013

An overview of how I spent my Monday nights this semester

I think the title of this post alone is a good indication of my writing style as seen on this blog. Throughout the year, starting from the first post, I used a semi-formal writing style that was informative but peppered with personal commentary either for comedic purposes or to just express parts of my life Itthought were relevant. Sometimes I was a little bit unnecessarily wry, such as when I started my book selection blog by admitting that I didn't look very hard for it. I was also a little overly personal in my opening post, in that I mentioned I tweet a lot about a certain person that "you probably don't know." But in reality, this is how I always am. I'm a very honest and cynical person, and I think that came out fairly clearly in these posts.

In relation to my other academic endeavors, I think I was pretty consistent with my tone here. When I do regular academic papers, I'm a bit more formal, as often personal commentary isn't relevant to any assignment I need to do. However, I still try to keep things light much as I did in these blogs. In discussion section, I think I maintain this tone as well, as sometimes I answer questions personally and from experience, which I take seriously and am honest about, and sometimes I answer questions in a more informal and funny way. I think overall the best representation of my talent here is in my blogs, since I managed to be serious and insightful when I needed to, but was also able to throw more of my personality into it, which I try to limit in my academic papers.

I think the blog post that most reflects who I am was also my most personal, which was the one about how I gave up Twitter, Vine, and Instagram after going the weekend without them. I was honest, reflective, and even a little humorous in this post, covering all the things I'm best at. I was even able to completely hijack the assignment to talk about my own identity issues, which I needed an outlet to express, while still talking about my use of social media. In that post, I said I might follow that post up with an update on my social media use after a while, which also shows one of my other talents: lying. Clearly, this was a tour de force example of my writing.

(Okay don't take that last sentence seriously.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Devlin,

Your blog posts always seem to make me laugh, and this one is no exception. I like that your posts are reflective, yet you maintain a balance between academic writing and interesting anecdotes. You are often witty and you can make otherwise banal topics seem interesting.

Nice reflection. You are a great writer.

Joey L. said...

Refreshing honesty. Personally, I preferred writing the blog posts early so I could just get them out of the way, rather than dilly-dally and wait until the last minute, but to each his own.

I also definitely agree with the desire for an informal tone. It's not just easier, it's more fun. I prefer to write like that since I'm more likely to be honest instead of just a canned response for the sake of getting it done. Even if that's what I did already, but, again, to each his own.