Monday, November 11, 2013

Manpower Inc.

When looking for jobs using Manpower Inc., I looked at three different cities: Madison, WI, Des Plaines, IL, and Seattle, WA.

I began by looking at Madison, Wisconsin and what jobs were available. I came across three jobs which all were temporary, or contract positions. These jobs included a loan processor, liability claims examiner, and a customer service representative. These jobs were listed under banking and insurance, so they were going to be desk jobs. These jobs required some skills and some education background, so they were not necessarily entry level jobs. These jobs also stated that individuals need to be good with phones and computers, so they will need basic technology skills in order to get the job.

Next I looked at my hometown, Des Plaines, Illinois. There were no direct jobs in the city of Des Plaines, so I decided to look at just the 25 mile distance around the city. There were a total of 41 jobs, with only three of them being permanent jobs. These permanent jobs were higher level jobs that required a high educational background and they were either manager or specialty jobs. All of the other jobs listed were either temporary or contract jobs. These jobs varied in all fields, but majority of them were in manufacturing and production. These jobs required little to no technology skills because they were mostly labor jobs. The other jobs that were in many different fields required degrees and technology skills, because they were mostly all jobs behind computers everyday. I think that these jobs would not be very interesting to have as a job, but the listings make it seem that they are necessary in order to get a higher level job that pays better.

The last city I looked at was Seattle, Washington. I decided to look at this city because it is a city that I could see myself living in the future because of a lot of companies that are located their for computer scientists and programming. There were a total of 15 jobs listed, but only four were technically in the city of Seattle. Three out of the four jobs were permanent, which shows that there is some stability in these jobs, even though the sample size is quite small. Majority of the jobs were also either customer service or sales. These jobs require some technology skills because they are desk jobs or deal with technology in some way. Again I find that these jobs would be boring, but it seems like they are the higher level jobs, rather than labor jobs that are entry level.

Overall, I see that there are a lot of temporary or contract jobs, with little jobs being permanent no matter where you are. I also see that there seems to be more technology jobs or jobs that require a degree or technology skills in big cities. That does not mean, however, that these jobs are lacked in small cities. No matter where you go, there will always be different types of jobs available.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never heard of Manpower before. So, I thought that looking at this website was an interesting experience. In a way, it kind of makes it easier to find employment.

I like how you describe all the jobs that you found. Yes, I agree that for today, because technology is constantly increasing, it is important to have technical skills.

Unknown said...

Demetrius,
I think it is really interesting that there were relatively few jobs (especially permanent positions) available in Madison and Seattle. These are both pretty major cities in their respective states and you would expect there to be more jobs available immediately withing those cities. I actually found the same situation when I searched for positions within Madison myself. I also though it was interesting that you had to do a search outside of your hometown because you were not able to search specifically within it. This was not a problem that I had to deal with when looking for the available positions in my own hometown of Milwaukee, WI.