Monday, November 11, 2013

Manpower Job Search

I began my search by looking for jobs in Madison. There were not many jobs available and the only ones that were did not seem very interesting. Every job listed were contract jobs. Two were in the banking industry, one for insurance and one in manufacturing and production. None of these jobs required a high level of technological knowledge, only seeming to require low level of skill using the computer or phones for communication. Especially, the customer service representative would require knowledge of how to look up what customers are asking about efficiently.

Then I decided to look for jobs near my hometown of Chappaqua, NY. There were more jobs available then in Madison, and still every job was a contract position. The job industries offered were different than in Madison. Many of them were “admin and secretarial” jobs or financial services. This is probably since it is smaller town the jobs offered are not with as big of industries as offered in Madison. Once again, the jobs seemed pretty uninteresting and required low levels of technological skills, mainly requiring communication skills.


Next I decided to look into a larger city I could possibly need up getting a job in so I looked at jobs offered in New York, New York. For this search there were many more jobs available with many of the jobs being contract level jobs, with some being permanent. Due to the size of the city there was a wider range of industries available but still many were in the “admin and secretarial” or sales industry. These jobs once again were mainly communication based. This shows how many industries are giving their communication jobs to people who have little experience. This makes me question the reliability of industries help services, which are supposed to be beneficial to customers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie,

I lik the research you did and thought it was very interesting. Madison barely has any jobs available and it seems the bigger the city the more jobs available. Excellent job of showing what kind of technological skills were required, if any at all. Great job!

Unknown said...

Katie,
I had similar findings about Madison. There didn't seem to be that much, and they were not that interesting. I like that you were specific about the types of jobs that were offered. It was interesting to consider different jobs in different areas of New York. It makes sense that there were more jobs listed in New York City and that they were more communication based in bigger industries. Nice post!