Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Blogs.

Chances are, if you went to find me on either a Sunday night, Monday night, or Tuesday morning, I would be doing a blog post for this class. Overall, it's funny to notice that the quality and integrity of blogs posted on Tuesday mornings were significantly worse than that of those posted on Monday and Sunday (Let's hope that this is not one of them). For some reason, I always left the most uninteresting blog posts to leave for the morning before lecture, such as the Manpower Inc. and The Memex Today posts. These blog posts, as I found, were also the least interesting to go over and reread.

I found that across the entirety of all of my posts, I included dumb jokes in nearly all of them. Even from my introductory paragraph, I closed with, “I can't wait to read all these intros and start to FIGure out all your names! That was terrible joke. Sorry.” And I was right, it was a terrible joke. Really stupid. However, that single sentence seemed to set my tone for the entire semester. Even if I was talking about topics that were not usually kind to humor, I tended to inject some form of joke in there.

From my 3 November post about living without technology, I wrote.

"I really wanted to participate in this assignment, but it seemed like my subconscious has other ideas.I only made it two hours. And as soon as I broke that seal, I went, for lack of a better term, HAM. I looked at Facebook. I texted. I tweeted. I FaceTimed my family at home. I checked my school email. I checked my personal email. I browsed Reddit. I won my eBay auction. I watched my fantasy football team get demolished. I used my phone as an alarm clock. I listened to old music. I downloaded new music. I watched funny videos (S/O to Devlin for showing me this). I showed other people funny videos. And I had a great time."

From my 13 October post about my book of choice, I wrote.

“I'm not going to lie at all. Over the past week, I've been researching books to possibly read for this assignment but nothing really caught my eye. I tried searching all over Amazon.com hoping for something to grab me, but I never found anything. Reading Scott's post, I looked up the book he ended up not choosing.”

And know what? Scott’s book was the book I ended up choosing and I enjoy it a lot. Thanks to Scott again for not picking it!

The jokes in my blog posts (hopefully) made my responses more interesting, but as I found, often made them really informal. In my head, I viewed this web space as completely informal from the beginning, and as a result, I never took it too seriously. All of my posts seemed to have a personal voice, but they also seemed to lack analysis of the topic we were supposed to be discussing. To be honest, these posts still represent me in a fairly accurate way. My writings and project presentations always have a distinct tone, but are also often lacking content. After reading my blog posts, I’ve realized that I need to find a balance between the formal and the informal depending on the topic in question.



No comments: