Sunday, November 3, 2013

Soo... I Was Kinda Disconnected

During lecture, when Professor Downey mentioned that our assignment was to go without technology majority of the weekend. I already knew that I was probably not going to follow that route completely. Even though I saw three people survive for weeks without technology in the movie Disconnected in 2009. That honestly gave me no inspiration to try it myself. I knew that not having technology would not be as productive as it was in the movie because times has changed in a lot of ways since then. We are more connected to technology than they were. The internet is everywhere, on every device I have, in my classes, and with my friends. Technology is everywhere and I have to use it eventually.

So instead I decided to tailor how much technology I would go without instead of following the rules in the assignment completely. I decided that I can only use my phone to communicate with family and friends back in DC, and I could only use my computer for educational/academic purposes. So I went without Facebook, tumblr, Netflix, and email, but I think that is about it. Without doing those things I just had more free time to do homework which was fine by me. I even had time to curl my hair which I have been dying to do! Oh and I cleaned my room really well.

I did use Skype on my phone. I used it to see my mother, niece, nephews, and my sister back home. I am usually only able to talk on the phone with my niece and nephews, but since they were at my mothers house this weekend she thought it would be be better for them to see me. I'm sorry but I could not pass that up. I actually miss seeing my niece and nephews in person, and I won't be able to see them untill winter break so.. I had to get on Skype. In addition to that I did use my phone to call people that are on campus that I know because we checked out some apartments for next year this Saturday.

So in all, although I did not follow the rules of no technology completely, I feel like I have valid reasons for doing so. Without technology taking up so much time with entertainment, I did get more done this weekend then I ever had before. I was able to finish most of my homework early. I have alot of appreciation for those who did follow the assignment full out! I do not know how you guys did it! I might try it again outside of a school assignment to see if I can do it but for now, I don't know if I can. Sorry guys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I see where you are coming from. I agree that it is hard to stay connected with family back at home as well as your friends without the usage of a phone.

It sounds like you had a lot of fun going without your technology on certain restrictions. I think that if we weren't so distracted with technology and social networking sites, we would always have time to do so much for and accomplish so much more.

I think that going without technology is possible but it has to be during the right time and this weekend just wasn't the right time.