Monday, November 4, 2013

Not Very Disconnected

For this assignment, I went in knowing that I would not be successful. The weekend was going to be packed with different events and meeting up with people. I knew this because it was my birthday weekend. Even though my birthday was on Sunday, there were people trying to contact me to make plans before that (for the Friday hockey game, meeting at different places, etc). From Friday night, people were sending me texts asking when they would meet up with me and what we would do (these cam mostly from my family, but also from others as well).

I did try to go without social media, but I often found myself habitually tapping those icons on my phone without even thinking about it, only to be left disappointed in myself afterword. From Friday night all the way through Sunday, I found myself checking my favorite social media feeds without even really thinking about it. However, on Sunday, I gave up entirely because people were reaching out to me in various ways (Facebook, Twitter, texts, etc.) to wish me a happy birthday. I decided it would be better not to ignore them and to simply cave on this assignment. This dilemma also presented itself when various family members were sending me text messages asking when and where we could meet up (they were coming to visit me). Even when I was using the Internet with permission when doing homework for other classes, I found myself getting distracted and accidentally logging on to different sites purely out of a force of habit.

In essence, I completely failed in doing this assignment. I would like to say that had it been a less-busy weekend for me that I would have been able to do it without a problem., but I really can't say for sure. I guess I'll just have to really give it a shot sometime, because I'm not sure I honestly can say I did this weekend.

No comments: