Monday, November 18, 2013

Mii Oh My

(First off, I did not want to dwell into the world of Second Life based on my previous notions of the site based off of this episode of The Office)

So, I made a Mii avatar instead. I've had a Nintendo Wii since it came out and I've always used eccentric characters instead of a personal reflection of myself. I don't know why. It was probably the novelty behind the fact that I could play Mario Kart as Kanye West or race against Sonic in the olympic games as Kenny from South Park. When I used to make Miis on my Wii way back in the day, I never felt limited by the lack of variety to chose from in terms of facial features. Back in middle school, I probably spent hours making different Miis to use in games. Looking online at the time, I learned that you could get very creative using the pieces they gave you. For example, by using eyes as ears and moving parts around, this person made a panda.

For the Mii for this project, I didn't make a version of myself, but I messed around with all the different parts given to me. Using an afro and making the mouth really large and the eyebrows really low, I created a helmet and a football player Mii.



Now, I've never played football competitively. I was more of a soccer and cross country sort of guy. The football player doesn't even look like me at all. To me, an avatar does not have to exemplify physical qualities of a person, but rather traits that a person may have. This avatar doesn't represent what I look like, but it does show that I have creative side which is something I'm proud of and would show off in an online space. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually thought of the same Office episode when I realized we had to do Second Life avatars. I went ahead and made a Second Life account anyway. It wasn't worth it. I agree with you that avatars don't have to necessarily reflect physical traits, but I do think that that depends on what they're being used for.