In comparing the three I noticed that for the one of technical jobs in New York they required the person to be bilingual in Korean. I found this very surprising because most Americans do not speak Korean, unless they are from Korea, and if they are not Korean then those people are very rare to find to me, and are most likely not looking for jobs that requires answering phones all day. When it comes to the technology skills the jobs in New York ranged from having proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel, and basic computer skills that includes light typing and computer work. However, there is a couple of jobs present on the site that requires familiarity with HTML, XML, JavaScript, Front Page and SharePoint. I found it surprising however that here, there is comparatively the same amount temporary jobs and permanent jobs.
When I searched for jobs in DC most of the jobs included really technical technology skills such as UI mockups, flow diagrams, final UI designs, web design, Adobe Creative Suite specifically Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks and Flash, HTML, CSS, and other basic computer skills. Unfortunately however, there are less jobs available here for DC and all of the jobs are temporary. It seems like one can move from a temporary contract to a permanent position if needs be.
In searching for jobs in Madison, WI, the jobs I found here have an even different story.There were even less jobs here than there were available in DC, and all of them are also temporary. Most of the technical skills require use of Microsoft office products, and other basic computer skills.
Overall, there where no jobs that interested me in Madison, WI or New York. I did find a couple jobs in DC however that seems very interesting. Both design jobs that require degrees and a huge amount of technical skills. In addition to that, the job pays very well and the employee who is able takes the job has the opportunity to have the job permanently overtime base on the work ethic of the individual. I find all of those things very appealing in the jobs. Besides that however, in most cases the job required multiple background checks that seem to be very tedious and time consuming and although I do not have anything to hide, it would still be a troubling process to partake in.
2 comments:
I actually find the jobs in DC and New York more interesting than what I found in L.A.. I know the basics in HTML so I think I would find a short term job in that interesting.
DC and New York were pretty similar in technical work. My cities were only similar in that they had teamwork and 4 year degree requirements.
What really surprised me about your post was the job requiring Korean. Although, since the job is in New York, which is a very popular city both nationally and internationally, I can understand why Korean would be a valuable asset to a company.
Overall, the jobs that you found sound pretty interesting. Maybe I should live on the East Coast!
I think its interesting that you said that for the jobs in DC, although advertised as temporary, could lead to permanent positions. I hadn't thought of that and I think you make a really good point - most of the job offers in DC were really interesting to me, so maybe I'll consider them, after al!
Post a Comment