Sunday, November 17, 2013

My Avatar

I began on Second Life and made an avatar. After a good twenty minutes of trying to figure out how to change my avatar and customize it, I seemed to be getting nowhere. I was unable to change my skin tone and hair style, and it seemed like nothing changed after I tried to make various changes. Because of this, I just decided to make a Wii character and instantly uninstalled Second Life. However, Second Life seemed to have unlimited options to make an avatar look exactly however I wanted it to. When I tried making an avatar on Second Life, there were so many options and different things to change that I ended up skipping half of them because there were too many and I would spend too long on the little details.

I decided to make a Wii character instead. I tried to make my Wii character look as much like myself as I could, but it is very hard to try to make a cartoon version of myself while being limited with what I could choose from. It was easy to create an avatar, but trying to make it look like yourself was difficult. The Wii avatar maker seemed to have options for different genders and races, but there was not a whole lot of variety.

 
This is what my avatar looks like. There wasn't really much of a selection between skin tone, so I had to go with a bit darker tone than I actually am. Whenever I do need to create avatars, I try to make them look as much as myself in real life as I can. I personally would feel weird and it would not feel right if I represented myself online as someone that I am not. Making my avatar look as much as myself in real life allows for me to feel actually engaged and not as me playing as someone who I am not.
 
Overall, creating an avatar is a very important part of joining something online. It allows you to represent yourself however you chose, whether it relates to yourself in real life or not. Personally, I like to make mine look as realistic as possible, but it all depends on whoever is creating the avatar.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Demetrius,

I really liked what you did with your Avatar and making a real-life, realistic version of yourself as I did the same thing. I people should feel comfortable with themselves and represent themselves online but that's what this assignment was about. Giving people the opportunity to represent whoever they want to be online by creating an Avatar. I think it's funny that they didn't have your color skin tone.

Overall I think you did a great job on this assignment!

Unknown said...

Demetrius,

I totally feel the same way about being myself in avatars. I always try to make them look as much like me as I can, for some reason, and I'm not really sure why. I think your avatar looks kinda close to you, but the Mii creator can only ever really get "kinda close," which is why it's hard to use in this context. I liked your post overall though, and I enjoyed reading it.