For this assignment, I decided not to try Second Life for two reasons: 1) I've heard from other classmates that it can be a difficult and confusing process and 2) I have a Nintendo Wii at home so I have some experience creating Mii characters. That being said, it was easy for me to create my avatar. I selected features that seemed to (somewhat, kind of, not really) resemble that way I look. Since I couldn't find eyes that I thought looked like mine, I chose ones that made my avatar appear to be laughing, which is something I do quite frequently. Lastly I put in my name and creator's name which, obviously, are the same thing in this case.
While it was easy for me to create this avatar, this Mii is unlike the ones I am used to creating. Normally when I would create a such a character on my Wii at home, I try to make the most ridiculous looking person. I use mismatching facial expressions, crazy hairstyles, and other features that do not resemble the real me whatsoever simply because I can. I came to realize that I use these avatars in the same ways that some online game players may use theirs. With avatars, you can create a character through whom you play a game; but in every other sense, it does not represent who you are at all. Players can express their opinions/words (if the game has such technologies) through a character who does not resemble who they are in a physical sense, therefore they may feel more secure knowing that this aspect of their identity is still a complete secret.
I wouldn't say this really looks like me at all, but if I were to use this avatar in a gaming space with other players I don't know, I am the only one who would know that.

No comments:
Post a Comment