Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Editing My Blogs

Today, I looked at the previous blogs I have posted.  I was truly surprised on how much my writing had change over time.  I, however, was not surprised about the mistakes I found within my writing.

The first mistake I found was some blog paragraphs could be divided into multiple paragraphs.  By making this divide, the ideas flowed smoothly.

Another problem was that I wrote the way I talk.  Although people can understand me, it is difficult understand certain sentences.

There was also a difference in how I wrote the searches and the article summaries.  Whenever I wrote about something we had to research, I went straight to the point with no explanation.  If someone were to read it without knowing the assignment guidelines, they would be confused.

Also, when I did searches about myself, they were written informally.  I think this is because I was critiquing myself.  In essence I was doing what I do on Facebook: talking about myself.  Since I talk informally on Facebook, I believe that natural tendency was brought to the blog posts.

What I found interesting was how my writings changed over time.  I started off formal. This is because I viewed the posts as assignments that should show that I can write intelligently.  Over time, however, I became more informal.  I believe this is, in part, due to the fact I have become comfortable with my classmates.  I now talk to them about things other than classes.  This created the feeling that I am not writing for the class, but for my classmates.  The audience was no longer people who would judge me based on my language, but rather accept my ideas, even if they were written in a causal manor.

I believe my earlier blog posts were better examples of my scholarly writings, along with my papers. This is because they were written with the intent of writing with scholarly merit.  Although I referenced and included citations in many of my later works, the earlier posts were written better.

On the other hand, the newer posts represent how I am in discussion.  Discussion takes place in a less formal setting.  In discussion, as with the blog posts, I am more concerned about getting the idea out than considering how to say it.  Although my blog posts are not the most scholarly posts, they work for the medium that they are located on.  Many blogs are written informally, so I feel that my language and formatting is not terrible.

I think, however, that both are good skills to have.  One must be able to talk both formally and informally and understand the correct places to do so.

1 comment:

Gabriella Struger said...

I noticed quite a few mistakes with my blogs posts as well, often because i wrote them the morning that they were due. Quite a few points that you make about diving directly into answering the questions I also noticed in writing as well. Although, this post seems much clearer to follow, and I really like how you broke up the paragraphs. It makes it much less intimidating to read through. On a last note, I find it really interesting that you have connected your informal writing style on Facebook to how you would write about yourself. I usually write formally on Facebook, but I can see where your writing style would cross over. I really enjoyed reading your post about how your writing has changed over the course of this class.