jobs, but they do offer somewhat decent payment and may appeal to those interested in the motor vehicle or customer service industries.
My hometown of Cedarburg, WI was not even an option in the drop-down menu so I tried the closest large city: Milwaukee. Here, there were 37 job listings with a wide range of descriptions and skill requirements. Some were permanent, some temporary, and some contract offerings. I noticed that many of them were business-related to some degree. There were also some industrial jobs, such as a Maintenance Technician and Entry-Level Machine Operator. Unlike the positions in Madison, many of them were internship opportunities. These listings all require some level of communication skills, teamwork capabilities, and customer service experience.
When I searched for jobs in Chicago, my (hopeful) future home, I was surprised by the results. There were only 17 offerings and, considering the city's size, I was expecting a much larger number. In Milwaukee I found more than twice the number of jobs. However, upon further examination, I noticed that many of the jobs were temporary, did not require much experience, and had specific requirements. For example, Allstate Insurance is looking for a candidate with military experience within 0-36 months of active duty who have been honorably discharged. I then realized that in a major American city, many jobs outside of the food or clothing industries may require more effort to obtain. The career positions in such areas are more competitive and therefore require a more involved and hands-on application process. Of the jobs listed, many require experience with sales, customer service, and/or finance.
After completing this job search, I now realize how important it is to be comfortable with communication and customer service. These were skills listed in almost every job description I found. I had heard of Manpower before this assignment, but I never knew quite how helpful it is in the job search process. If I ever find myself job searching online (which is probable), I will most likely return to Manpower.
1 comment:
Cat,we actually had a very similar experience with our research and exploration on Manpower. I agree with your comment about the necessity about communication skills. I also found that with my own search results as well. I think its interesting that even though technology is becoming more and more prevalent in our lives both in a out of the work place, human interaction and communication is still very important.
Post a Comment