Going into the weekend, I knew that this assignment would be pretty easy for me. Personally, I am not involved with social media sites besides Facebook, and I barely use that in the first place. I knew that I would be able to easily go the weekend without Facebook and my laptop for the weekend, as I usually do it most weekends anyways. If it was a normal weekend, I would be able to go without my phone easily also, but my parents were coming up this weekend to visit. This made it difficult for me to go without my phone because I needed to give them directions and information on where to go around Madison, how to get to their hotel, and to my dorm. Because of this, I used my phone for calling my parents for the weekend, but not for texting or any other use.
I checked my email one last time before 5pm on Friday before I became disconnected. Friday was pretty easy to go without technology because I went to go play basketball with my dorm for most of the night, then I just did some readings for the rest of the night. I felt no need to check my Facebook, email, or text during this time because it was of little importance to me. Saturday was the same for me. I had to however call my parents once in the morning in order to tell them where my dorm was, so I guess you can say I lost the challenge early Saturday morning. Other than that, I spent the whole day with my parents walking around Madison, going to stores, and going to eat. During this time, again I had no intention to check any of my technology because it was not important to me at the time. What was important to me was that I was with my family physically, and not worrying about the latest gossip on Facebook.
Saturday night, however, I came back to an empty dorm. There was honestly no one there and I thought that something was going on that I didn't know about. This made it very tempting to check my email and Facebook to see if there was an event going on with my dorm. I decided not to check any technology and actually found someone on my floor, and it turns out that just most people either went out or went home for the weekend. If I did not find my friend on my floor, I am pretty confident that I would have had to use technology and fail.
Overall, I was able to last the entire weekend without using technology, besides having to call my parents, which I saw as a necessity. I know that to most people, technology is a necessity and that it is hard for most people to go without it, but this is not the case with me. I never really got into social media sites, so I don't really need to use technology besides for necessary uses. The time that I find myself using technology is when I am not with people physically, since technology allows me to feel connected when I am away from society. I found this assignment a cool experience and I hope my fellow peers felt the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment