Wednesday, November 13, 2013

You and Mii


So this is me. That was the intention anyway.

This is the Mii I made for myself on my Nintendo 3DS, and it's probably the most accurate caricature I've made of myself in any character creator I've used. Although, in retrospect, the chin is a bit too big. Oh well.

In creating this, the 3DS has a feature where it can use its camera to take a picture of you and generate a Mii with that image. I used that as a base, but made my own changes since the technology is...imperfect. I wanted the likeness to match me as a closely as possible, since other 3DS users would be seeing this Mii as a representation of myself. I felt like I should be as accurate as possible in depicting myself.

The options aren't particularly deep, but they didn't feel limiting either. Again, the facial recognition software was flakey at best and downright bad most of the time, so it's largely on the user to make their avatar as they see fit. I should add, however, that I don't have a particularly unique appearance, so of course I found the choices to be enough. I will say that the selection of glasses was somewhat limited, but I like the ones I selected, so it's all good.

Again, I am a very generic person in appearance. So I didn't stop to notice any peculiarities in the creation here. As far as I can tell, the options are enough so that the results can cover many different kinds of people, especially based on those that I have encountered over the system. But, it's hard for me to say for sure.

I also have this avatar that I made some time ago, which serves as my account image on my laptop. You can make one here. I'd say the eyebrows make this one work.


(My favorite color is blue, if you couldn't figure it out.)

No comments: