Monday, November 25, 2013

Reflecting on My Blogging Career

After going through and reading all of my blog posts thus far, I realized that I began in a casual tone, but it quickly changed to a more formal tone. With the introduction post being my first blog post ever, I found that it was very casual as I just described a little about myself and there was no real structure to my writing. I think this was partly because I didn't know how formal blog posts were supposed to be until I saw other posts and approaches to these blog posts. For the remainder of the online assignment posts from then on, my writing was formal and straightforward. When reading through my posts I found that I just answered the questions for that weekend's assignment and wrote them in a formal tone. I feel like I take these online assignments like a miniature writing assignment, so it is good to practice using a formal tone, even if it is just a blog post.

I feel that I present myself in these blog posts the same way that I do with the rest of this class and in school in general because of how I use a formal tone when writing. Whether it be a blog post or a long paper, I always write in a formal tone, so I saw no difference between my blog posts and the rest of this class and the writing assignments. In the blog posts that is also present in my writing assignments is that I add my own voice into the writings, which is a good thing, but I feel that I do not do this enough. When reading my blog posts I saw a few of these instances, but I think that I could have done more to incorporate this. I find that I add in my own voice more into our discussions, because I find the discussion conversations more casual than formal.

I would say that the most true and most effective presentation of myself would be in person and in our discussion. I just think that being able to talk in person with others and sharing ideas right on the spot brings out the best talents in individuals, including myself. Even though I do not talk much, I think that my conversations in person are more effective and are more like myself than my writing. In my writing, I try to be very formal and sophisticated, and even though I try to do these same things in person, I would say I do not do them to the extent that I do when writing. Overall, I find that my blog posts are a good presentation of myself, my writing, and my overall work in this class.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Demetrius,
I also felt like my blog assignments took on a very formal tone throughout the course of the semester. I also discovered that my own voice didn't come through in my blog posts as often as I would have liked. I agree that it's good to treat assignments seriously and write with a formal tone, but I also think that it's important to make sure that your writing sounds like you and that your voice is coming through the words that you write.