The Mii avatar was a totally different experience. My brother has a Wii at home so I had worked with the Mii system before. The character obviously looks nothing like me, but I guess if I had to "cartoonize" myself , this wouldn't be far off. The options are much more limited, especially when it comes to the clothing options (they only allow you to change the color of the shirts). I think this is a good thing, considering it's purpose. Whereas Second Life is used to recreate yourself online - at least, for me I tried to make it look as much like me as possible - Mii is clearly much more fictional, not holding any realistic purposes.
Monday, November 18, 2013
My Avatars
I started off making my avatar on Second Life. I'll admit now, I had no idea what I was doing. My avatar looks nothing like me - not for lack of trying but for lack of understanding. It was very difficult to manage and I found that all the options were a bit overwhelming. Maybe the fact that I went into it with the intent to do my homework and not to recreate myself for other people made it more overwhelming than helpful. The fact that I could change such small details, like the bridge on my nose or the length of my torso made me feel a little uncomfortable. In the end, my avatar has zero resemblance to what I look like:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hi Elisa,
I like the effort of both of your characters. Although I heard that making a second life character was troubling for most people, I'm glad you stuck through it and tried your best. I think it is a good try! At least you didn't give up.
Hey Elisa,
It's a good thing that you played around with the different options you can do with the game. I couldn't figure out how to change my character much and thought of Second Life as uninteresting. But I was unaware of the different options that can be taken to change characters. That might have swayed my opinion a little. But I agree with you, I still don't find it interesting.
Elisa,
You bring up some interesting points about the accuracy and context of each your avatars. With the knowledge discrepancies between different sites, it is apparent why we don't have the ability to aptly create personalities on each platform; our experience with these sites heavily influences the capability to create an avatar more similar to ourselves. User-friendliness of interface, in my opinion, also determines how easily we will be able to manipulate the features to tailor a character to our own liking. I think that if we really want to pursue a dominant online presence, however, we must learn how to make avatars on all sites digitally similar to us.
Post a Comment