Monday, November 11, 2013

Manpower Research

To begin my research on Manpower, I looked at three cities: Madison, WI, Sheboygan, WI (my hometown), and Atlanta, GA. I wasn't sure what to expect but to start off, I looked at Madison, WI. When looking through Manpower for Madison, there were only about 4 jobs. These four jobs included temporary contract positions such as Loan processor for a bank, Liability claims Examiner I for an insurance company, General Labor/Line of work in Manufacturing, and customer service representatives for banks. Looking at these jobs, they all required some sort of technical skills along with communication skills.

Next, when looking at my hometown, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, there were also four jobs available. These positions included jobs like Engineering technician, Customer service profesional, Machine operators, and Administrative Coordinators. The only thing that was different with this compared to Madison, Wisconsin, was that there were two permanent jobs. So, someone might be in luck if they are searching for a stable permanent job. These jobs also required communication skills as well as technical skills.

For my last city, Atlanta, Georgia, several of job opportunities came up. These job opportunities ranged from the engineering industry to manufacturing/production to Administration and Secretarial. These jobs also paid with the wages between $13 and $15. Although a majority of them were contract base, there was a good handful that was looking for a permanent position. Because Atlanta, GA is one of the bigger cities, it also resulted in more opportunities to find a successful career whether contract or not.

In conclusion, when looking at all of these contract/permanent jobs available on Manpower, I noticed that they all were looking for someone who had technical skills. They also wanted to look for those who are media literate (understanding how media and technology works) and that they could work independently. For jobs these days, it is important to at least have a high school diploma as well as have strong communication skills to interact with others. Not only did I notice those, but also that the salary or wage (per hour) for these types of jobs ranged from the amount of $13 - $15 max and that there were no specific degrees required. Lastly, the bigger the city, the more job opportunities were presented. All in all, being media literate plays a big part in finding a successful career that you want.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mindy,

Nice job! I found similar results in my job searches. The only difference I noticed was that there were more opportunities in Milwaukee than in Chicago, which is surprising considering that Chicago is a much larger city.

The skills you described are very important for jobs these days. Along with communication skills and experience with customer service, I also had similar requirements for the jobs I found.