Monday, November 11, 2013

Manpower Job Searching

When searching for jobs in Madison, I only found 3 jobs, and all of them were temporary positions. They were mostly paperwork jobs, including being a claims processor, working in the post office of a bank, and processing loans. Each requires a college degree, though no specific major, and at least two years of experience. It is clear that these are not necessarily entry-level positions, and have some barriers required to getting into them. One even required a special "claims processing" training that appeared to be standardized across the field of insurance claims. None of them require any real IT skills besides making calls. They seem like pretty boring jobs, so it's a good thing they're temporary.

In Milwaukee, my hometown, there were literally 12 times more jobs, which makes sense because it's a much bigger city. There was a mix of temporary and permanent jobs, one of which was even a permanent postition at ManPower itself. A lot of them were recruiting jobs, which is ironic given that Manpower helps people looking for jobs and this job would be going to get people to work somewhere. As far as IT, a lot of them call for some sort of IT experience. There were even some technician jobs, though they were mostly for big machines rather than IT. One job was actually a position for "IT Human Resources," helping a company find good IT people to fill jobs, but didn't require any IT skills from the applicant themselves. A few of these jobs seem okay, such as a job as a "Price Analyst" that requires a degree in finance and two years of experience, since it sounds like a more interesting and thinking-heavy job than a lot of the other positions advertised.

Finally, I searched San Francisco, since I'd like to live there one day (though that may never happen). There were less jobs listed than in Milwaukee, but they were more varied than the other two cities I had searched previously. Some required specific technology skills, such as one job that required lots of experience with very specific programs. However, like always, there was a mix of those that did require technology skills and those didn't. There were far more permanent jobs offered in this listing, which is interesting, and I can't really think of any reasoning for that. These seemed like the best jobs I had seen so far, since they seemed like real, accomplished jobs that would have good salaries and a sense of legitimacy, as opposed to the very temporary jobs offered here in Madison.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found that your search results were very similar to mine. As I searched for a bigger city like you did, more jobs appeared, but that is just because there are more people. I also found that the more permanent jobs required more skills and they were usually the better jobs of the list, which you also found. These companies want a permanent person who could fit a higher level job, which is why they have better salaries and are better in general.