Well, I didn't make it. But as soon as my finger went to the screen and took its familiar path of unlocking my iPhone, I had a thought; Did I even try on this assignment? I'd like to think that I did. But the more I contemplated, I more I realized that I never fully expected myself to go the entire weekend. I kept my phone in my pocket. I didn't duct tape my computer in a box and put it in my locked drawer. I left my headphones out on my desk just waiting for music to play. I had previously made an eBay bid that I needed to check up on. I really wanted to participate in this assignment, but it seemed like my subconscious has other ideas.
I only made it two hours. And as soon as I broke that seal, I went, for lack of a better term, HAM.
I looked at Facebook. I texted. I tweeted. I FaceTimed my family at home. I checked my school email. I checked my personal email. I browsed Reddit. I won my eBay auction. I watched my fantasy football team get demolished. I used my phone as an alarm clock. I listened to old music. I downloaded new music. I watched funny videos (S/O to Devlin for showing me this). I showed other people funny videos. And I had a great time.
In conjunction with all this technological use, I still managed to have fun with people from my floor and get all of my homework done. I also worked for over ten hours. By this point, I think I've successfully found a balance between technology, my school work, and my social life. However, through this little experiment, I did come to the realization that I am dependent on my technology. We've come to a point where most of lives revolve around technology. It's rare that I look out the window to check the weather, I just check my weather app. I own an alarm clock, but I just use my phone instead. Digital convergence is a wonderful thing, but it's limiting our lives to a single device.
3 comments:
I'm surprised you only made it 2 hours. For me, the first couple hours were the hardest, apart from the fact my parents needed to communicate with me on Sunday. Although I wanted to look at my phone, Saturday was pretty easy.
Although you didn't make it, at least you tried. I know that I am dependent on my technology too, but it is possible to go without it. It's a little bit lonely, but possible.
I understand exactly where you're coming from. The question of whether you tried definitely applies to me as well - I made no real effort to put them away and hide the distraction. But to be fair, even if we had hidden our phones and computers, it's easy enough to go get them and unwrap the gift paper.
Sam, first of all, this post was great. I'll admit I laughed when I saw you only made it two hours--especially after you were the only who commented on my post in our Facebook group to stay off of social media. I also really liked the next paragraph about how you "broke the seal" and went on everything. It's honest and real, and shows that you really didn't make it in any way, shape or form.
Yet, you ended on a very insightful note. You acknowledged that you were still able to get a lot done and be social, despite your connection to technology. you brought up a really good point about relying on your phone, and I think that most of us do the same. Great post.
Post a Comment