Reviewing my blog posts made me realize something: I got boring. My very first blog post started out similar to the voice that I have on my regular blog. It sounded a lot more like me, but it was not as formal. As the semester progressed, my posts were much more focused on simply the topic of each week's online assignment. I lacked in asides or really anything that would make my posts more interesting. However, I did not completely stop adding personal anecdotes. There were occasions that it made sense to add in more interesting comments.
My best posts included some personal connection or memory of something that related to the topic. These posts probably displayed my talent the best, but my my papers probably showed my improvement the most. My more interesting posts have a similar voice to my personal blog, because that is the place that I have spent the most time developing a voice. Since this blog was for academic purposes, I feel like I treated at it as more of a public place to put answers to my homework assignments. Many of my blogs maintained an academic voice, and I focused more on completing the assignment than I did on writing an interesting post.
I would say that this is similar to how I present myself in the discussion section, but I probably make personal connections more than I do on the blog. Since we are in a FIG I also make more connections to concepts from our other classes in the papers and in discussion.
Looking back on my posts it was interesting to see how much I wrote over the semester. Little posts here and there don't seem like that much at the time. My favorite post that I wrote was the one after being disconnected for the weekend. I feel like my voice came out the most in that one, and I also frequently relate my life to song lyrics on my personal blog. Maybe if I treated this blog a little more like my own, I wouldn't have had to focus so much on just getting the assignments over with. But as with anything else, hindsight is 20-20.
1 comment:
Taylor,
I found that my blog post experience was very similar to yours. My introduction post had a lot of my own voice in it like yours did. As time went on, however, I found myself in the same position you were, which involved just answering the questions and finishing the assignments without any real voice or connections. I agree that the way we present ourselves in discussion is different because we could add more of our own voices into what we say and think. Overall, I found that our reflections were very similar!
Post a Comment