Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Attempting Disconnection

This past weekend, I was actually home, so I knew that being entirely disconnected from technology, I would not throughly follow through. I used my phone to get in contact with people I wanted to see, and needed to get in contact with family. In my attempt, I did not do very well with staying away from social media. I managed to still briefly check it a couple times a day. I did not exactly search the web or use my computer at all (however I am guilty of watching Netflix for a little bit Saturday night). For the time that I was away from technology and actually thoroughly enjoyed life without technology. I liked being able to focus on a conversation without wanting to drift away to my phone. I got tasks done in more efficient ways. When I was not using my phone, I was actually pretty content without it. Overall, I managed to not use technology due to boredom, but rather for need, so therefore I am proud of myself for at least accomplishing that. It was kind of a poor weekend for me to follow through entirely with this "project", however I still would like to experience what it's like to be completely disconnected. I believe that I would be able to do it successfully. If I have a two or three day window at some point in the near future where there is no necessity for me to use technology, I will be sure to undertake this project the full extent. Maybe when that time comes, I will make another post, and tell you what my successful experience will be like.

1 comment:

Gabriella Struger said...

Your experience with not using technology is very interesting. I can see why you had to use your phone since you went home and needed to get in contact with others. I also noticed that when I was disconnected I didn't feel any sort of distress. Good luck with your next attempt at this assignment, I felt that being completely disconnected was a rather rewarding experience.