In completing this activity, I followed the order posted by Professor Downey on the class blog. Therefore, I began by searching my phone number on the White Pages website, resulting in an inaccurate result. The results told me that my phone number belonged to somebody in Gaithersburg, MD, zip code 20883, whereas my home in Maryland is in Chevy Chase, quite a drive away from Gaithersburg. The only correct information that came up was the service carrier - Verizon Wireless.
Next, I researched some information on my home zip code, 20815. According to the American FactFinder, which pulls up information from the 2010 Census, the 20815 population is 29,082. It states that 6,759 of these individuals are foreign born, an interesting fact since I know that one of these 6,759 is in my own home - my mother.
I then began the social networking analysis. On Facebook, a search for 'Elisa Wiseman' pulled up five people of the same name from a variety of locations - Washington, DC (Me), Arizona, Texas, Wyoming. Twitter didn't pull my profile up at all, due to the fact that my full name is not on twitter, rather only my first. Other social media, such as Instagram, also didn't find my profile through a search of "Elisa Wiseman" since my name on Instagram is my first and middle name only - Elisa Gabriela.
When I googled my name, I came across only my Facebook profile. A search for "E. Wiseman" brought up various family members, but nothing on myself.
Overall, I was very happy with the results of my online search for myself. While I did come up in some instances, I'm glad to see that for the most part, my personal information is kept private.
1 comment:
Elisa,
I was surprised that you were able to find your Facebook account on a Google search. I think it's interesting that since your name is more unique, you can find an account easily. Since my name is common, I found it difficult to find myself.
As for the phone, I seriously question the accuracy of White Pages. I think the best that it can do is the provider and the county, but after that it is pretty useless.
I'm curious to know if you have any user names from websites you used in the past that you might have searched for. I know I'm on a lot of different websites, and that is how I found myself.
I'm glad that you are pretty secure online. Even though you can find some of your information, it seems pretty well hidden.
Post a Comment