Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Real Taylor Shiff

When I typed my phone number into the reverse phonebook it told me that it was a Sprint mobile user from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Also, typing my phone number into Google just shows that it is a mobile phone from Minneapolis. My e-mail did not generate any search results in Google.

According to the American FactFinder, in my hometown zip code the population was approximately 18,695 from the 2010 census. The average age is 37.5, and 97.2% of the population had attained at high school diploma or higher.

Googling my name shows some of the social media sites that I am on, as well as a link to a commencement speech I wrote my senior year of high school. For example, it shows my Pinterest, because it is public. It also has links to content I posted from iPod apps a few years ago. You can view some of the gifs I created, and it shows my WeHeartIt account--which I no longer even use. My Twitter account does not appear, which I found a little strange, because it is connected to my real name. Instead, there was a link to another Taylor Shiff on Twitter ( I have not seen it spelled the same way before. I have seen variations like Taylor Schiff or Taylor Schifflet, but this was the first other Taylor Shiff I have seen anywhere.) Also, it showed one of my senior pictures, which was connected to several of the social media sites that I use, and there a couple of pictures of my little sister and couple of friends that I have posted on some of the apps. The weirdest part was seeing a picture of my roommate a ways down in the image search. I have never once posted that picture, and I have no idea why one of her pictures from Twitter would pop up when you search my name. It's kind of creepy, actually.

I also use "TayShiff" for some usernames and profiles, so I searched that. Most of the links were not actually me, but it did show my Pinterest again. This time it came up with a link to my blog, because I don't have my full name on there. However, searching "Shiff, Taylor"wasn't that different than searching Taylor Shiff. The most significant difference was that it didn't show as many of the same pictures in the images search.

When searching my name on Facebook, I did not come up with anything, because I have certain settings so that I do not come up in search engines on Facebook. Instead, it comes up with a bunch of different Taylors that are similar to Taylor Shiff, such as Taylor Schiff and Taylor Shiffman and Taylor Shiffler.

The representation of me online is harmless. My number one search result is connected to my Pinterest, which demonstrates the interests of an average teenage girl. The most information provided comes from my blog, but most people looking for me on Google would probably search my full name over Tay Shiff.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Taylor,

I like how detailed you were with describing your research. At some points I giggled because I could totally imagine you saying with they way you would.

I definitely agree that all this researching and finding yourself online is strange. I am also amazed at how accessible this information is to everyone out there. I guess that this just means we all must becareful what we put up such as pictures, statuses, videos, etc.. More security? Do you think all this social networking is a good thing then (security wise) ? Who would spend so much time trying to search a person up on all these webpages?

Overall, I really enjoyed reading your blog. :)

Mendy Yang

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.