The short film Voice of Victory, explains the development and use of the radio during war time, specifically World War II. It beings by explaining how significant radio communication was at times of war because there had to be a way to connect a whole force whether they were on land, air or water. Communication in general was important to know how to win a war, and radio was the best thing available. The video then goes on to explain how radios evolved from being simple stationary devices that a station could have in their station to something that could be transported and used in harsh conditions, and explains the process it took to make a radio such as this.
This video and its material is extremely important to take into thought especially for an LIS 201 class because it really is one of the most basic and important ways of communication for everyone. The video talks about whole forces being able to communicate with different troops around the world and using that to help create better strategies to win wars. It also explains how the radio was modified from its original stationary and large form to one that could be carried on jeeps and planes and submarines. This is another important thing when we think about especially in our military. Many of the technologies we have are altered for the use of the military to make them more efficient and powerful. And this then, in return enables normal civilians access to more able technologies such as these and then helps the world in general become more connected and accessible to each other to be able to do more things.
3 comments:
Clara, I really enjoyed the video you chose and the piece you wrote. The military has always fascinated me and I'm glad you wrote on this. The development of the radio was a very essential thing during war time. It was one of the main reasons that our military is the best of all time. It is all about communication and you really nailed that home. Great article and video!
Clara,
I really liked what you said at the end of your comment about the globalization of technology. As new tech is developed than the world will ultimately become closer and well connected. The history of the radio getting smaller also adds to this. Its so much easier to people to use technology when it is a reasonable size. For example, supercomputers used to take up a whole room and now they can fit in a pocket.
In terms of the military aspect, its cool that radio is still used for communication today during war. Its interesting that some of the same technology, with modifications of course, is still used to help win wars.
Clara,
I found your video very interesting and I found a lot of connections between the video I watched, which was about the telephone. I liked how the video showed the ways that radio communication were used and how they transformed it to meet the needs of the military, and how they showed what specific needs were needed to be met. I found this as a connection to the video I watched because the telephone also went through many transformations to help improve performance and distance.
I see why this video is helpful and works with our LIS 201 class because of how the radio communication was another source of information at the time. The radio is a very important piece of technology, just like the telephone. Both of these technologies are key to sharing information and to communication, and I think that these are things today's society sometimes take for granted. Even though radio communication might not be that popular, this video shows that it is used in many different aspects of everyday life, like for military use.
Post a Comment