Monday, September 30, 2013

Researching Demetrius Poulos


To begin the search for my “Digital Puppet”, I began with the reverse phone at whitepages.com. When I typed in my cell phone number, I received the city I am from, the zip code, and my phone carrier. This website accurately found where I am from and where my phone is registered to. When I typed in my home phone number, I got three results: my mother, my father, and my older sister, however, nothing for me.

Next I entered my zip code into the American FactFinder. This search resulted in the 2010 census, which shows the total population being 59,690. The median age is 39.6 years old and the percentage of people with a high school diploma or higher is 87.2%. The median household income is also $57,325. Entering my address into the Dane County website was of no use because I am not from Dane, so nothing came up.

My social networking analysis on myself only consisted of Facebook because it is the only social network I really use. As an outsider looking in at my account, all I was able to see was my name and my profile picture. This is because I keep most of the information on my profile private to people who are not my friends.

After I searched these websites, I began my search for myself on Google. Google had no pictures of me when I searched my name, and one of the first results that came up was my Facebook page. A few results that also came up were some projects I recently made in my Computer Science class this semester in a program called “Scratch”. Also, a profile for me that was made during high school cross country came up, but there was no information on the profile. One result that I found very interesting was when I typed in my name with my middle initial, Demetrius M. Poulos, a result for my grandfather, Gust Poulos, came up on white pages. Other than these few results though, Google did not have much about me.

So when a search for Demetrius Poulos is done over the Internet, not much will be found, and the results that are found are harmless. Part of the lack of results is due to the fact that I am not very active with social networks outside of Facebook. Even if my Facebook is found, nothing about me could be seen because I keep most of what I have on the Internet private. Because of these reasons, an employer wouldn’t be able to tell much about me from a thorough Internet search. Overall, I feel like I do a pretty good job keeping my information over the Internet private.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is pretty similar to how my search went. Since I keep pretty tight security settings on Facebook, there isn't much information for people who aren't friends with me to find. Also, Google researching my name didn't give anything about me other than my Twitter account (which is, however, open for all to see). For the most part, though, I'm not too loud in the social networking community, so there isn't a whole lot for people who don't know me to find. i did find it interesting that you found something about your grandfather. That's something pretty cool and unlike anything that came up in my searches of myself.