Monday, September 9, 2013

Demetrius Poulos Introduction

Hello Internet! My name is Demetrius Poulos. I am from Des Plaines, Illinois, which is a northwest suburb of Chicago. My sister is currently a senior here at UW-Madison, and she was the only person I knew who attended here coming in this fall. I joined this FIG not only because it fulfills the rest of my general education classes I need in order to graduate, but also because I found the whole "Internet and Society" topic very interesting and very practical to today's society. I also plan on majoring in Computer Science.

I get asked a lot how tall I am, so I'm just going to say it. I'm currently 6'5" and yes I know that I am very tall. I have a weird mix nationality wise, being half Mexican and half Greek. My mom was born in Mexico, while my dad was born in Chicago, but he is full Greek. Sadly, I do not speak either Spanish or Greek fluently, but I wish that I did.

I prioritize school work and studying, as it is very important to me, but I also enjoy many other activities. I've been playing basketball my entire life, and throughout high school I was involved with various forms of martial arts. I love to play all different kinds of sports in general. I enjoy hip/hop and some electronic types of music, but I will usually listen to anything. In high school I also was a member of the National Honor Society and did some volunteer opportunities. My summer consisted of working full time at Chipman Design Architecture, which is one of the top architecture firms in the nation. Architecture is a passion of mine and if I do not stick with Computer Science, I will more than likely do something involving architecture.

I am very excited to start classes and start learning about the interesting topics we will be covering through this FIG. I am excited to get to know all of you and can't wait to see what this semester has to offer for us. I want to improve my writing and public speaking skills, while also getting a good grade in this class, and throughout the FIG.

This is my first ever blog, and I'm not sure how to exactly end it, so I guess I will see all of you in class! Good luck to you all!

No comments: