Sunday, September 29, 2013

Research on Myself (Mendy)

As I begin my research on myself on the internet, I am wondering what interesting things I will be able to find about myself. Starting with Whitepages, when entering in my phone number, the information of my city, address, area coda, and location came up. I zoomed in to see if it would exactly locate my home and indeed it did. One could say that I was a little bit surprised how easy it was to locate someone just by using their phone number. From this website, it allows anyone access to easily see where I am located and to see if I put false identification on any papers.

With the next website given and the zip code, it provided information on the population of the city as well as income averages, education in the area, and relationships in community. After that, the third website with putting in the address allowed a person to look into one’s taxing and mailing as well as other personal records. This was all out there too easily.

I remember doing an assignment a few years back about looking up about myself and wondering how my pictures and social networking sites came to be on google but now I understand how. When typing in my name in all different ways (with and without my middle name etc…), I have websites that came up on google talking about things that I have volunteered in my hometown or in the past. Other things that come up are my pictures in google images with the social networking website that they are taken out of such as Facebook. Even though I haven’t been on Myspace for about four years now, I found that my Myspace information was still available for anyone to see. With all the social networking websites, a person is allowed to see more pictures, daily status, locate where I am such as being in a restaurant, email addresses, phone number, friends and people who I know, family, and more.

I think that with all this information available with technology, anyone looking up information would probably get the most accurate and recent information from Facebook. With all the other social networking sites, they would see younger immature things and pictures of how I used to look like. They can search up my records and things that I have been doing daily. Things that would be in my history would be available to them. The websites such as Myspace is only a website in my history and it also preserves my history as well. So, a majority of it was all in the past.


I think that this representation of me from the websites and technology represent me very well but I do not see a need why someone would look me up and need my information. Overall, I think that if someone were to look me up, they would be wasting their time unless it’s an employer or someone who needs my information. They would see that I pretty much am a busy body constantly moving and working hard while trying to be out there as much as I can while enjoying life at the same time. 

2 comments:

Joey L. said...

While I think the wording of "wasting their time" might be a bit strong, I think the last paragraph is pretty spot on. Based on the results I'm seeing, it doesn't seem like there's that much useful information on the likes of us out there to be a blessing or a curse. It seems pretty standard and expected from a group of students who have spent their lives on the Internet. Nothing atypical.

Unknown said...

I thought it was interesting how you said that all the initial information you found was found "too easily," as I sort of had the opposite reaction, since I don't really care if people can find where I live or information about my area. I couldn't work that third site we were given, where you said tax information was released, but if so that might have scared me a little bit more. I agree though that it's interesting to see just how easy it is to find this kind of info.

I'm glad you were happy with your online image, as I had the opposite experience there too. But it sounds like you do a lot of good public work and volunteer, which I never really have, so you have some positive things to show for on the internet. I guess I wasn't so upset about how negative some things you could find about me were, but rather that I had nothing good to back it up. I'm glad you do!