Monday, December 9, 2013

The Hybrid Course

After doing a search for specific "Hybrid" courses, I was unable to find any specific courses that were considered "hybrid". I was only able to find Universities that had descriptions to "hybrid" courses and how that they offered some classes that fit this criteria, but no specific classes. These descriptions that I found fit our hybrid class and they have the same approach. This shows that "hybrid" courses are becoming more popular because they are utilizing today's technology and are taking part of the course online.

I think that these "hybrid" and "blended" course approaches are good approaches and help the educational process. While traditional in-person learning works, I think that taking part of the course online takes the learning experience to the next level. While in-person learning allows for learning, I think that the online portion allows the student to take these skills they learned and apply them in a more modern and different approach. I think that this approach is going to become more popular and will be seen more frequently in universities and schools as time goes on and technology advances.

From my own experience, I felt that the online portions connected with the in-person portions. However, I felt that I was a more effective student in physical space. I felt that with the online assignments and the online portion of this class, I was not able to fully express myself and get my voice across, but I felt I was able to in-person and in our discussions. I think that I was able to learn more from the in-person portion of our class because I felt that even though the online assignments allowed us to explore what we learned, it was more just answering the questions and being done with it. I was always an in-person and old school learning student, as I still take notes with a notebook and a pencil. However, I think that the online portion was very interesting and gave the course a different perspective that allowed us to use the skills and knowledge we learned and apply it to technology and what our generation is used to.

I think that the course material was able to go well with the hybrid idea because of how the course material was about the information society. Information has always been spread, and it is spreading at an even faster rate with new technology. Because of this, I think that incorporating technology into our learning and our class was a great idea. I felt that I was able to have hands-on experience and apply what we learned to these online portions. I think that this hybrid course would not work very well with a course like mathematics, because it would just make things complicated. If the course material deals with technology, I think a hybrid course would work for that specific course.

Overall, I think that the online portion of our LIS 201 class was very interesting and gave the class and my learning experience a different perspective. I liked how our class was a "hybrid" class and would like to have more classes like this in the future.

1 comment:

clara94 said...

Demetrius, I really agree with your position about hybrid courses in relation to our class and classes in general. I think it's true that through online postings and assignments it's much easier to become more "disconnected" to the work you are doing. I also think that because this course is about the information society the idea of hybrid courses worked, but it could also be very unhelpful to courses in other courses that don't have to do much with information technologies or similar topics.