Friday, December 6, 2013

The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal by Ben Mezrich

(This one's late too!)

I chose this book because I thought it contained relevant, interesting information in regards to one of the most revolutionary entities of our time: Facebook. There is a lot to be said for its inception and spread of popularity among the world's Internet users, and Mezrich is well-known for his work on other social transformations, so it makes sense to report on this particular book.

I thought about doing a few other books, like The Shallows, but ultimately they didn't interest me enough to analyze them in-depth and examine their application and relevance to what we're studying in LIS 201. I also think that material on Facebook especially holds significance in the digital world; we use it for so much that we often forget it's our go-to source for information sharing and communicating.

I plan to discuss the various conflicts and obstacles in producing Facebook, and what that meant for its creators and us, its users. I will try to make sure everything comes into play, including the melodrama between Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin, not leaving out any pertinent details that would heighten my case. I'm hoping my presentation reflects all of these ideas and offers sufficient evidence to its importance.

No comments: