Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hybrid courses


When searching for other hybrid courses similar to The Information Society course, I found that at the University of Colorado—Denver, they offer a good amount of “hybrid” courses that are both a mixture of in-class and online assignments. I chose a specific one, Global Energy Issues-Realities, and looked at what the course covers. The only major difference between the LIS 201 class here at UW-Madison and this class at Denver, is the hybrid classes at Denver only really offer in-class, meaning lecture, and online assignments. They do not offer a discussion section as well. I believe that the discussion section we have here furthers the hybrid system and works extremely well.

My experience throughout this class was ever changing. Going into it, I had no idea what to expect from any college class, let alone this “hybrid” class. The more we started to do online assignments, the more I began to enjoy it. I believe that doing online assignments not only contribute to more literacies in online spaces, but also offer a completely separate, but effective approach to learning. Working online allows for a more personal level of engagement because it is just between you and your screen. People may feel tentative to share during lecture or discussion, and the online portion allows for other people to communicate to the class. I feel much, much, much more comfortable in the online setting now especially towards blogs and wikis. This class has really taught me a great amount about working online and sharing with others online.  

I do believe that online course components work differently in a course that wasn't all about the online world of information because it makes sense to have an online component to a class about the online world of information. However, I think an online course component for every class is essential and useful. It can give more people opportunities to learn without having to go to the lecture or discussion, or in addition to. Overall, I have enjoyed my new learning experience in LIS 201, and hopefully I have more hybrid classes to come. 

1 comment:

Katie Flicker said...

I agree that the use of the Wiki and blog was beneficial in learning new online literacies. This will be helpful as more classes become more integrated with the Internet. Already it is noticaible that many schools are trying to add hybrid classes, thus is will be necessary for us to learn more about different components on the Internet. Although you felt that online classes would be beneficial for all couses, i still believe that some classes are better when strictly taught in the classroom to give students more attention with professors.