While looking for other examples of hybrid classes, I didn’t
find many specific courses, but did see other schools acknowledging the use and benefits
from these courses. Hybrid courses are not simply at UW but also can be found
at a variety of schools, ranging from high schools, to business or medical
schools. One high school, in Byron, Minnesota has hybrid courses available in
math, English, FACS and social studies that are designed to both teach the
students the course material and help them become more resourceful on the
Internet. Although the school recognizes how this is beneficial for some
courses, it notes how often in the math class students would rather learn in
school than online to be able to communicate easily with students and the
teachers on topics that they are not fully able to grasp.
Overall I think that the use of technology, and especially
the Internet was beneficial for the course and should be incorporated into more
classes. By being able to use the Internet to do some of the classwork, it not
only allowed me to have a more flexible schedule by giving me more control of
when to complete assignments or projects, but also allowed me to have a more
hands on experience with the concepts discussed in lecture. The use of both the
blog and wiki formats, and PowerPoint or other media sources throughout the FIG
has taught me to be more resourceful throughout my research or simply just when
surfing the web for myself. Although I do think that it was beneficial for this
course, like the students of Byron High School, I think that for some courses
it is hard to fully understand these concepts on my own and think that it is
important to stick to mainly old fashioned teaching methods.
The use of the Internet for classwork is
also a beneficial way to acknowledge students’ participation in the class that
may not be recognized in a large lecture. Through the blog posts it has allowed
both my TA to see what I have been grasping through the lectures and also allow
me to compare what I have been getting out of the lessons to other students. Without
the participation online I would not have learned about the experiences my
fellow students have encountered or simply be able to learn more about them.
Even by only reading the titles of posts, or a few sentences I was able to make
more connections to others ideas from what I personally am thinking about
through the posts.
As the Internet is becoming more influential in daily life
it is important for students to be gaining knowledge about different uses and
methods throughout their courses in school. By incorporating the Internet and
other programs into a class, as done in LIS201 it will allow students to better
grasps concepts by having personal learning experiences and be able to continue
to use these products both in and out of school.
No comments:
Post a Comment