Friday, December 20, 2013

Finding My Digital Puppet

While searching for myself, I found many basic things that would allow outsider users to learn a small part about me. My first task was to search info about my number and zip code. This gave accurate information. Through entering my number, it identified my cell phone service provider and my location. So anyone can figure out that I am from the Chicago, however this is a very vague way to define me. In entering my zip code, I figured out that the median age was 37, and that 90% of people from my area are white. So through this, one would be able to infer that I was white, however I am pretty far off from being 37.

Due to the fact that I have many of my social media profiles on pretty restricted views, one would not be able to figure out a lot about me from it. The information that I was able to figure out on Facebook is that I was from Chicago, IL, I attended Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School, and viewers are only able to see a small thumbnail of my pictures. Since I do not have my last name on my twitter, there is actually no way to access it unless you were to know my specific username, although it is on public. 

Googling my name, you are able to come across some profiles that are me, while others are not. One of the first results is a twitter account of a girl with whom I share a name. However, another one of the first results is my Facebook profile. The most frequents results, however, were news articles I was mentioned in. I have been featured on many news stories in Chicago news networks, and some nationwide, about how my brother was KIA in Afghanistan. I had to do many interviews for it, and they are all on the internet now. Through this, outside sources would figure this out about me, as well as get a better look at my appearance. Looking back, I wish this personal information was not out there. What revealed a lot of statistics about me was actually my Google Plus profile. It revealed my past jobs, my high school, as well as a lot of interests I have, such as TV shows, music, and more.

Overall, one would actually get a pretty good look into what I'm like. They are able to find out my basic demographics, and they also got a look into my family life, since it was on the news. So, if you were to search for Grace Lavin, you would discover I'm a young college student, who went to Mother McAuley, worked at La Papa's, I like Coldplay, I am from Chicago, and that I am the sister of Cpl. Conner Lowry. Nothing too exciting to see. 


No comments: