Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Hybrid Course Experience

To compare our course to another one that uses the hybrid approach, I have decided to compare it to another course I'm taking this semester, Math 112, or just Algebra. I attend a 'lecture' twice a week, which is just a section with about 40 students where the instructors go over practice problems from our homework. But mostly, I have learned the material from this course has actually been from our online interphase. We use Pearson Online Labs to access our textbook, our homework, practice homework, quizzes, and even our exams. I feel like, in comparison, in my math class that I actually rely more on the information I learn online, whereas in this class, LIS 201, I have relied more on what I have learned in lecture and section, which brings me to my next point.

While I feel like our online activities have connected with what we read and what we learn in-person, it has not necessarily reinforced the material. I feel as though it did not affect my role as a student in either the physical or virtual world. I never have used a wiki outside of this class, and I feel like the blog has not changed my past blogging experiences at all, therefore I am not much more comfortable with either of those things. Because of that, I feel like professors should 'proceed with caution' when it comes to using online components.

Overall, I feel like I am definitely leaving this class with a much greater amount of information about information in society than I did entering it. I now better understand the impact that technology has on me as I use the internet, therefore changing my perspective. Because of what we learn in this class, using online components is necessary in some ways, however I feel like it can be altered so that we can learn more from it.

1 comment:

Te'Asia said...

Grace,

I really like the honestly you put into your post. I can also see how your math class can be considered an Hybrid course. Although I do not take it I do hear alot about the tedious online work so good luck!

Overall I enjoyed reading your post. Good job!