(Excuse the awful lateness with this post)
After searching for myself on various platforms on the Internet, I can say that I have made my digital presence somewhat private, if not hard to find myself. A search on White Pages found both the carrier and the location of my cell phone service, which was surprising, given how I merely typed in my cell number to detect the details of my cellular presence. White Pages gave me the option to purchase more details about the number, such as the name on the account; I'm wondering what else it would disclose, and for how much. Searching my Zip code gave fewer details, only the population of the country I'm from and other vague, mundane details.
What was more interesting were the results when I simply Googled myself. On the first page of search results, there were links to my Twitter and Instagram accounts, and a page showing all of my produced Vine videos. I was not detectable on Facebook to the generic Internet searcher, which I believe stems from my privacy settings. Other search results produced a link to a story from a local news network covering an execution I reported on for my student newspaper with my friend. Besides these results, nothing significant, relevant, or connected to me.
I think that one could surmise from searching for me that I like to generate social media content that satirizes the mundane, and centers on what I'm doing at that moment. Fortunately, there wasn't any suggestive or inappropriate material that would lower my online reputation; I try to keep everything I produce clean and, as many would say is recommended, "things my grandma could see." I think this also speaks well to my job prospects. It is often suspected potential employers search for applicants to ensure they are clean, responsible, and trustworthy. I would hope I fit the bill on this one.
Overall, I'm not disappointed with the things I found. If anything, I think what came up attests to who I am, if not in a professional sense but in a context I would approve that chronicles my personal life. It will be intriguing to see what changes with search results on my name as I continue my education and enter the work force.
No comments:
Post a Comment