Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hybrid Courses

In my search for hybrid courses at other higher education institutes, I found that the University of Wisconsin-Madison does not stand alone. In searching only for "hybrid courses", I came across a multitude of schools that offer these course packages, including the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, University of Washington-Bothell, and even a variety of community colleges, such as Northern Virginia Community College, and Ozarks Technical Community College. For the most part, it seems that the use of hybrid courses in the other schools are for the most part on par with the one that we've experienced in LIS201 at UW-Madison. NOVA (Northern Virginia Community College) describes the hybrid theory as a combination of in-person/face-to-face communication with online instruction taking place within one single course.
In my own experience with the hybrid theory of education, I think that the intention may be better than the actual outcome, at least for now. While I definitely understand the importance of an online presence, I think that it can sometimes be a bit unnecessary or at least ineffective. I think that as a student I get much more out of the activity itself, what I'm learning, and less out of the fact that it takes place online. I think that I may learn a bit more out of the physical space than the virtual one - a virtual space contains too much potential for distraction. I think that the more the Internet is used as a place for education (especially once it becomes the exclusive place for education with online-only courses, for example), the more of a risk is in place for distraction.
The question on whether an online course taking place for a class that doesn't revolve around the importance of the Internet and technology is an interesting one, and I'm honestly not quite sure what the answer is. I think that until I experience it, I wouldn't be able to say for sure. The use of the Internet in an Internet-based course means that I pay particular attention to not only what the assignment is, but how the Internet is helpful in achieving it. In a course that doesn't discuss the Internet's weight, I'm not sure that the latter would be as present in my research.

No comments: