Monday, December 2, 2013

My Mom's iPhone Experience

For some reason, information technologies tend to be popular topics of discussion within my family.
We tend to talk about the role of instant communication in my siblings' lives in comparison to methods of communication my parents had when they were young adults. Usually, this conversation turns in to speculations of future technologies followed by some other technology-based rant.

This Thanksgiving break, my mom was determined to improve her ability to operate her iPhone and navigate through various apps and features. Specifically, she wanted to increase her phone's storage space by moving her pictures on to our home desktop. In fact, this was one of the first things my mom told me about once I got home. While I'm proud of her efforts, she only knew about this option because  of her trip to the Apple store. However, I can't like I am an entirely tech-savvy person; as it turns out, I didn't know how to move pictures on to our computer either.

After my sister helped her with this problem, I knew I would be able to help with my mom's other technological problems. She has updated to iOS 7 and does not quite understand its new features. Additionally, she needed help learning how to send pictures in text messages. Normally, if she wants to send me a picture, she sends me an e-mail. So this past week I made it a personal goal to teach her how to send pictures much more efficiently. It took her a couple tries, but once she got it down, she started to send me a slightly excessive amount of pictures: everything from our table decorations to pictures of family members.

While they may not know all of the tricks and shortcuts, or even the basic functionalities, both my mom and dad have a fascination with modern technology. They have a desire to stay connected with me, my family, and their friends using up-to-date media devices. They both have updated iPhones and use our family iPad regularly. My siblings and I take on our parents' electronic education as a responsibility and, in doing so, we improve our own technological awareness.

1 comment:

clara94 said...

Cat, it seems like you had an interesting time with your mom and her technological issues as I did. My mom isn't as tech-savvy as yours as she still claims the house phone as her cell phone, but she is currently very interested in using my sister's ipad which she seems to enjoy more than everyone in the household. I think what you said about it being our responsibility to teach them a lot of things even though we're not as tech-savvy either. I think it's weird yet interesting how the tables have turned and it is our turn to not let them get lost in some online store, and to keep away from strangers.