Monday, December 2, 2013

My Mom and Her Experience with the Computer

For this assignment, I decided to talk to my mom about her experiences with technology used in her work. I chose her because she used to work at a flower shop, then decided to go to training sessions in order to become a medical assistant at a doctor's office. From these sessions I knew that she developed skills that she would need with technology for this job, which is why I wanted to talk to her.

When asking her about her experiences and her job, she said that the technology that was the most important for her job was indeed the computer. Before this new job and her training, she had little knowledge of computers. She has had experience with them, but not much. She would always ask me for help on how to do things, and she basically only knew the basic functions of computers. After her training, she learned much more about computers and its features. She said that it was not that difficult to get used to and learn, as now she has a lot more knowledge and uses computers everyday at her job. She learned to input data, make documents, and she also learned how to make an email, which are all things she previously did not know how to do.

My mom is good with computers now, but that does not change its role in her workplace. She always tells me of how it is annoying to use computers at her work and how it slows things down. This was interesting to me because I would have thought that computers would make work easier, but according to her, it makes it harder. Because she is a medical assistant, she is required to input all of the information about the patient into the computer during the appointment, and she says that this takes away from the time to address the patient's needs.

From my conversation with my mother, I found that these short training sessions do indeed work. If someone is willing to put in the time and go to these courses, they can come out with an elementary level job and work their way up. The use of computers in workplaces are becoming more popular in many different fields, as they are going to be the future. It is good to have some literacy with computers, as it is important and could be the factor if someone qualifies for a job or not. Overall, I found my mom's experience with computers very interesting, as it has become a skill that she was required to learn, and it has caused her to now love using computers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good post Demetrius. I think there is a connection here between the article we read about women in the IT field and the classes your mom took, since in both cases someone was learning new skills in order to qualify for a different job, which, as you said, worked out for your mom very well! I think it's interesting that she said that computers actually slow down her job, since I'm sure that information she's recording is fairly important too, but I'm sure she really does feel that way. It's kind of weird to criticize someone's mom's statements, so I'm just gonna leave that there, haha. Again, good work!