When I searched for hybrid courses I had a hard time finding specific classes, but I found various schools that offered them throughout the country. Most of the information was very general, explaining the concept of a "hybrid" or "blended" class, and some gave their opinion on why these classes were beneficial.
The hybrid classes at UW-Milwaukee seemed to be most similar to the format of LIS 201. Some of the other colleges like Oklahoma and Northeastern University seemed to describe online courses that were supplemented with the occasional face-to-face classroom time. They often met a lot less often, maybe once a month or a few times in a semester. UW-Milwaukee's page about hybrid classes says, "A hybrid course is designed to integrate face-to-face and online
activities so that they reinforce, complement, and elaborate one
another, instead of treating the online component as an add-on or
duplicate of what is taught in the classroom."
Even after learning so much about the Internet in our FIG, I feel that I benefit more from face-to-face interaction in the classroom. I think that it is really important to be able to talk concepts through to fully understand them. On the blog and wiki we can try to explain concepts, and sometimes we can have discussion through the comments. But we do not feed off each others' online activities in the same way that we do in the classroom. However, I think the blog posts made up for some of the things that didn't get said in discussion. Sometimes we don't have enough time to fully discuss everything or people are quiet because they either can't think of anything to say on the spot or don't want to share. So the blog is a way for people to share their ideas more cohesively. I was already familiar and comfortable with blogger before this class, but I definitely feel more comfortable with wikis now. I think that we could have even used the wiki more, and I think that there are different courses that would benefit from using the wiki to post assignments. UW-Madison professors should really consider incorporating blogs into their instruction, because it is extremely helpful to have resources that we can use and the assignments explicity explained in one place. I didn't have to question what I was supposed to do, because everything was laid out on the blog. There are other classes that I forget exactly what the instructor wanted us to do, and that makes it difficult to complete the assignment.
The blog really connected with all of the classes in our FIG. It made me think about the reading about blogs and hyperlinks in LIS 201, and we had several readings on the same topic in CA 346. We also talked about Web 2.0 in both LIS 301 and CA 346, and bloggers are part of the user-generated content frenzy associated with Web 2.0. I feel like a blog on subjects other than the Internet could still function in similar terms, the posts would just be a lot less about the process of collecting information and researching, and more about the content of the class.
Overall, I really enjoyed the "hybrid" aspect of this class. I can't imagine a class about the Internet and the Information Society without some incorporation of online activities.
2 comments:
Taylor,
I enjoyed your post and noticed that we had some of the same findings in terms of searching for "hybrid" courses at other universities. We both found such classes at UW-Milwaukee and came to the conclusion that their use of this type of course layout is different than that of LIS 201.
I agree with your points about how our work online gives us a chance to say things or express ideas that we do not have the time for in traditional classroom settings. Your preference for online versus offline participation slightly differs from mine, as I feel I am a more active participant online, but I definitely understand your viewpoint. I also couldn't imagine a class like this without such a heavy focus on online activities. Blogs and discussion boards have played such pivotal roles in all of our FIG classes, and you point that out really well in this post. Great job!
Taylor,
I agree with most of the points you make on your post. I personally like in-person discussion, but I see your point about how the online portion is good for quiet people. Sometimes I don't talk much in discussion, so the online assignments and blog are good ways for people like myself sometimes to participate and add to our discussion. I also see all of the connections between our FIG and the blog. Overall, I liked the hybrid course also and thought you did a nice job on your post!
Post a Comment