Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Memex

First, I thought that it was interesting how Bush came to coin the name "Memex" for his machine in storing all kinds of information. While I was reading Bush's Revisiting the Meme article that he wrote in 1967, I thought it was interesting how he went into describing other technologies that held information in them such as the computer and the advancements that have changed over time. I think that his idea and innovation of the Memex to store mass data was pretty interesting.

After reading the Bush's two articles, I looked up "Memex" in Google. The first few things that came up were different definitions for the memex, the Wikipedia entry for the Memex,  a website for the memex, memex on social networking sites, blogs on the memex by someone named Eric Blue, history of the Memex, and the memex and hypertext/ hyperlinks. To my surprise, when I went further into the pages, there was also information on a Dj called Memex. But a majority of the links that came up were related to Bush and his idea of the Memex being part of the modern technology

What do I think about the Memex? I think that it is very similar to what we have today which is the computer. However, Bush said the Memex is nothing like the computer because it won't do our work for us. Unfortunately, I think that when new technologies are innovated, they will always help us to make our daily tasks be easier. So, they will always be doing our work for us in some way, shape, or form.



1 comment:

Katie Flicker said...

I agree with the idea that as technologies develop they will continue to do more work for us. I don't particularly think that this is a bad thing though. By allowing technologies to do some busy work, it allows us to be able to further develop and explore ideas and concepts that we may have no had time for before by saving both time and effort. For example, while doing a research paper, being able to search topics rather than just go through books allows us to quickly eliminate useless information to gather what will be important to the assignment.