Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Searching the word Internet

Searching for the word internet was not as easy task as I thought I would. When I first looked it up in the historical journals I kept getting a lot of results as early as the early 1800's but I most of the terms being found were actually interest or interpret. After looked through countless articles and classified ads, I finally found a small 1986 clipping from the Chicago Tribune and it was talking about the financial standings of a banking computer service supplier. Other articles that I found around this time were also about the financial status of computer service providers or the status of computers and internet access but they mostly focused on banking.

I then looked in the other scholarly databases. On Project Muse I found an interesting article called Internet Life, African Art from 1994. It was actually a piece about the arguments that still go on today about the value of the internet and content people find on it. The author, Denis Dutton , writes, "considering how often we're disappointed by books from reputable publishers, it's not surprising what the mind can look like on the Internet, a virtually free, unedited medium," (424). I thought this was very interesting because we truly are having the same conversations Dutton brought up almost 20 years ago. On ProQuest I found a Dec 1981 article that talked about the company 3Com.What I found most interesting about this article was the first line that said the company mentioned was the only one at the time selling hardware and software components for building an Ethernet local network. I really thought this was interesting because I'm sure now there are countless companies that would provide this service/ product.

2 comments:

Gabriella Struger said...

Your description of how you traced back the internet is very interesting. I also noticed that when I searched for my work (electronic book)some of the earliest references related to banking/the financial system.The article called Internet Life, African Art from 1994 seems really interesting and I like your point about how we are still having the same arguments. Your research on the word Internet is very interesting and easy to follow. I think you did a great job.

Unknown said...

Interesting results! I would have honestly thought the word internet would have come up before 1981, but I'm not extremely well versed on the timeline of the internet. I also found your finding of the "African Art" article interesting, as it directly relates to what we've been talking about in this FIG. Good work!