Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Gabriella's Digital Puppet

For the geodemographic search, my name does not show up, however, both my parents and my uncle’s names show up, along with past places they have lived. I discovered something interesting and that due to the government shut down, the factfinder.census.gov site has been shut down until further notice. I find that really interesting that the government shutting down would even effect the sites they host. For the accessdane.co.dane.wi.us I found no information. I am guessing it is because I am from out of state and they cannot pull up my address?

When I searched through social media I received some interesting results. On my Facebook, a person can see my profile picture and cover image, along with things that I have favorite. My profile shows someone who likes, and may possible have a horse, due to my profile picture. As for my favorites, I feel that it shows a very limited portion of who I am. The movies that it shows I like are all high action, like Transporter and Bourne, and then I have children’s movies like Princess Mononoke and How to Train Your Dragon. I actually like a variety of other movies too. However, the showing of television shows is rather accurate to my personality. I love Rooster Teeth content, so the Red vs. Blue and Achievement Hunter depict what types of shows I watch very accurately. In addition, the rest of my page seems like a funny contradiction because under games I have a dew Xbox360 games, but then the rest of my profile is heavily concentrated on sports and wildlife. So I think Facebook gives a somewhat skewed, but rough description of my interests.

The other social media site that I use it twitter. Although, I keep my twitter feed public, so everything that I post can be seen by anyone. My description is “Just a girl obsessed with video games, nature, and animals. Weird combination right? Ohio” I think that my description gives a good idea of my interest, but unfortunately my remark about playing video games can often be met with a stereotype of “gamer girls” which really annoys me. Most of my posts relate to video games and what is going on in the industry. I also mostly post photos of things that I find interesting, but very rarely do I update about myself, or what I am doing at a particular moment. If someone was to look at who I follow, it would again reinforce my obsession with Rooster Teeth, because I practically follow everyone in the company, and that I am really interested in the video game industry.

Through the Google search for my name, I found a few sites that give out my information. One site just gives out the street I live on and my hometown. When I looked at the images results I saw two photos of myself that I used as profile pictures. In addition, I saw many photos for Geek Girl Con. There were also many photos of skiers. I am not sure exactly why, but I am guessing it probably has to do with my grandfather, who was a very accomplished ski racer. I also showed up on my brother’s genealogy tree on a site called geni.com. The only other nonsocial media type site that my name showed up on was for the donor list for Fieldstone Farm Therapeutic Riding Center, which is where I used to volunteer throughout high school.
When I searched for my email, I received no results about myself. As for searching my phone number in Google, the only information I received was where I live, which is Russell, OH in Cuyahoga County.


Overall, I think my digital puppet represents some of my major interests, such as video games, animals, especially horses, and my somewhat obsession with Rooster teeth. However, I feel that it lacks to fully grasp who I am. Often times, when I would search for myself, my grandfather, who was an inventor, would often show up, or other family members. I feel that I have a relatively small digital puppet because I often avoid creating account online, which may be the cause. Although, I do feel like this was a worthwhile assignment and I enjoyed learning about how people may perceive me over the internet.

No comments: