Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains

I began my search on Amazon by looking for topics within the information society that I find relatable and interesting. I decided to search social media since it is one of the most recent additions to the information society, and also part of my daily life. I found a few interesting books on Facebook, but they were all published over two years ago when Facebook was just being to expand.

 I decided to search Twitter instead since it is more recent and found a book called, Twitter: Social Communication in the Twitter Age. Although the book looks interesting I was skeptical of the quality since it was very recent, expensive and only had one review. After being searched on the other sites still very little came up, which was questionable.

The next book I found by looking at related purchases. The book was about the digital divide, which we have gone over in multiple sections of the FIG and is an important effect of the information society. The books goes into the arguments for and against social networking and would be an interesting topic but once again there were not many reviews or other information found.

In the end I decided to read The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains, by Nicholas Carr. Since we have already read sections by Nicholas Carr within the FIG classes I knew that it was a reputable source. Also, the reviews on were overall very positive and there were already hundreds available. With over one hundred reviews giving the book five stars, I thought it was the most dependable to be informative and interesting. When searching worldcat.org, it was the book with the most results and then on Library Thing it seems to be the most popular of the books I have found.

This book has been reviewed in The Virginia Quarterly Review, Science News, Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly and many more. Many of the reviewers are professors of universities. Tricia Farwell, from the Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly is a professor of advertising and Mark Meier from the Virginia Quartley Review is a chemistry professor. Since they are all of different teaching backgrounds it will be interesting to see the different ways in which they interpret the book. Overall, the highly positive reviews of the book and the amount of information found on other sites made me excited and interested in reading more from Nicholas Carr.



Work Cited
Meier, Mark Shively. "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains." The Virginia Quarterly Review 86.3 (2010): 195.ProQuest. Web. 17 Oct. 2013.
Farwell, Tricia M. "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains." Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly 88.1 (2011): 198-9. ProQuest. Web. 17 Oct. 2013.
Zelkowitz, Rachel. "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains." Science News Aug 28 2010: 28. ProQuest. Web. 17 Oct. 2013 .


2 comments:

Ellen LeClere said...

When I did a quick Internet search for this book, I found out it was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize - very cool!

It should prove to be an excellent and challenging read, and I bet will be very helpful to you in this class as we explore more themes about the new media and digital technology. Good choice!

Unknown said...

Katie,

I found both of the books you talked about during my search and found them both vey interesting! I think it is a very good choice, especially since we have dealt with this author's work before in other FIG classes. You present some great ideas about current topics of discussion such as the digital divide and the Internet's impact on our developing society and in our personal lives.

I can't wait to see what you have to say about this book!