Monday, October 14, 2013

Computer Games and the Social Imaginary (DMS - Digital Media and Society)

I started by search for a book by typing “information society” into the amazon search bar. There were a few books of interest, however, they were published over 2 years ago. So to refine my search I selected “Last 90 Days” and then I later searched under the “Computer & Technology” category. By narrowing down my search I discovered a vast number of books that interested me. From these books I narrowed down my list to:
  • Computer Games and the Social Imaginary (DMS – Digital Media and Society) by Graeme Kirkpatrick
  • New Understanding Our Need for Novelty and Change by Winifred Gallagher
  • Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less From Each Other by Sherry Turkle

The book that I am choosing is Computer Games and the Social Imaginary DMS – Digital Media Society). Although the other books have quite a few review, I find Kirkpatrick’s book more intriguing. The description for the book states, “In this compelling book, Graeme Kirkpatrick argues that computer games have fundamentally altered the relation of self and society in the digital age”. From this, this book should tie together how computer games not only fit into the information society, but how the games have shaped the information society as well.


However, a difficulty this book may pose is that the book was published on October 7, 2013. So there are currently no reviews on the book yet. Although, I am passionate about this topic and I cannot wait to start reading this book.

1 comment:

Ellen LeClere said...

Good choice! I'm glad you decided on a book that fits your interests, it will always make a book review project more exciting.