Monday, October 14, 2013

Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet

This past week I have been looking all over the Internet for what book I should read. I was stuck between two books but decided to choose Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet.







This seemed like the more interesting and better choice. After reading the summary for the book I knew that I wanted to read this. This book amused me because of one quote that Tom Vanderbilt, the New York Times best-selling author of Traffic said, “Andrew Blum plunges into the unseen but real ether of the Internet in a journey both compelling and profound….You will never open an email in quite the same way again.” This really opened my eyes and jumped out at me. So I figured I better take up Vanderbilt's offer that I will never open an email in the same way. 

Many customer reviews gave it four stars out of five citing, "If you want to know how it really fits together, how the Internet really works, read this book." This book captures the physicality behind the magic of the Internet and how it actually works in terms of "Tubes", cables, and wires and how they're all connected. I know I'm thoroughly going to enjoy this book and I'm ready to get started!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought this was a very good choice for a book. After reading the one chapter of this book in our Critical Internet Studies class, I found that the book seemed that it will turn out to be very interesting. I have always been interested with the background information and the history of the Internet. To us, it seems like it was always there, but I've always wanted to find out the roots of the Internet and how it actually began. I think that you will enjoy this book, and I want to eventually read it one day. Nice choice!

Ellen LeClere said...

Excellent choice - this book has been on many bestseller lists and is sure to be a good read. Keep in mind that Blum is a journalist (not a scholar), so approach his arguments with a critical mind.

Here's a link to his TED talk on Internet culture: http://www.ted.com/speakers/andrew_blum.html