When researching the Memex, by simply typing Memex in Google, I found many links defining the Memex. I also found this video of an animation used to describe the Memex in a visual context. I also typed in "Modern Memex" to see what people interpret could be the Memex today. Obviously, many people linked the idea of the Memex to hypertext. Although hypertext is not the Memex, it does maintain the main idea of the Memex: to create paths between documents so that they may be used by the collective interest.
I found another site proposing the idea that the modern version of the Memex could be the iPhone. The iPhone, like many of our technologies today, connects people to the Internet. This, in turn, connects people to hypertext.
In my opinion, our laptops, phones, and iPods can all be considered the "Modern Memex." The Memex was simply the tool used to few the data, much as our technologies are. Though it may also have allowed people to record their own ideas on the documents, this can be done on the Internet through comments. Frankly, the main point is that data is linked. Of course, at the time of writing, Bush didn't know that data could be stored digitally.
Overall, I think the idea of the Memex has been hypnotized in different formats, and because of that, would be, in some form, created. Using technology to easily see linked documents seemed like a good idea to so many people that it would be created, and it has. I think without the idea of the memex, or ideas like it, we would not have the technology that we have today.
Overall, I think the idea of the Memex has been hypnotized in different formats, and because of that, would be, in some form, created. Using technology to easily see linked documents seemed like a good idea to so many people that it would be created, and it has. I think without the idea of the memex, or ideas like it, we would not have the technology that we have today.
1 comment:
I really like the point you make about how hypertext is not the Memex. The video you linked to also showed up in my Google search. What I really like about your post is how you decided to search for the "Modern Memex" and how our current technologies perform a similar function to the Memex. You brought up some very interesting points.
Post a Comment