Friday, October 4, 2013

Ciara Bridges and the Digital Puppet

When I began my search for “Digital Puppet” I started simply by typing my first and last names into Google and White Pages to see what those Network sites would produce. Not much showed up in Google or the White Page with simply my first and last name, so I dug a little bit deeper. I entered my city and zip code along with my name, but still I yielded no results. A trip to the images portion of Google showed some rather old and previously artistic photos from my early teen years (which I still cringe at, ick), but nothing that was representative or even brought up who I am online. I attribute not finding a lot about myself to the fact that I’m not yet 18, which would explain why I’m not on the White Pages or many other online mediums that look up adults across America.
After going through Google for a few pages, I found one of the older usernames I used when I was about 13, so I clicked on the link. What caught my attention was the fact that this site had the first “Ciara Bridges” in Chicago, IL that I had seen so far in my trek to find myself online. The site is named peekyou and it apparently showed all of my email addresses and all the sites I was on with this username. However, most of the information was bogus seeing as it listed emails for servers I had never used and accounts I had never signed up for. I continued my search by trying to narrow the search down by adding my middle name into the mix. This yielded even less than before, so I added the city I lived in, which was Chicago. This is where I hit the gold mine. All my previous activities came up on the front page of Google, along with my beRecruited page for rowing and my group poetry which had been recorded by a radio station. My old Youtube and twitter also appeared from the previous search, but nothing extremely modern was found.

What I found personally from this exercise is that it really depends on the person to see how much they will find on the internet. While many of my peers found quite a lot on themselves, I found next to nothing because of the commonality of my name. My first name I share with the famous singer “Ciara”, my middle name is “Chanel” shared with the perfume and clothing/accessory line, and my last name “Bridges” is shared with a famous black girl from the times of school integration. None of my names are inherently unique, but combined, they produce a strange concoction of results which only catch snippets of who I am, or was, in a developing state. I think if I was to enter in some of my online usernames, much more information about my current self would be found online. What I take from this search is that what you can find on a person is conditional to how much they put on the web under what name or alias, and if that information is recent. If someone Googled me unbeknownst to me, they would find random information which doesn't represent me currently as a person, and that is kind of terrifying for me to think of. 

No comments: